I Will Always Remember

I remember exactly where I was when I heard about the attacks on the World Trade Center.

I was a sophomore in college and I had a 9am aerobics class. I got to class a bit early that morning and heard people talking about a plane that seemed to have crashed into one of the Twin Towers. At that time everyone thought it was just a small passenger plane that probably lost control. We had class and afterward I hurried back to my dorm. I turned on the television to see one of the most horrific things I had ever seen. By the time I got home, both of the towers had been attacked and were burning. I really didn't know what to think as I sat there watching the replay of the second plane flying into the tower. It was so surreal. And then...I watched as the first tower fell. I remember clearly saying out load 'Oh. my. God.' I just sat there. I didn't know what else to do.

I spent the better part of the day talking to my mom on the phone. I didn't go to any other classes that day. I was glued to my television.

I had never been to New York prior to September 11, 2001. But in October of 2006,  Nick and I visited the wonderful city. While there, I wanted to visit the site...if 'visit' is even the right word. A part of me felt weird going there. It's not a tourist attraction. I almost felt like I was intruding, being nosey. But we walked by the site.

We spent maybe a total of 10 minutes there. I couldn't even wrap my head around the extreme chaos of that day or the fact that two large buildings once stood where we were. Ground zero was so much larger than I had ever pictured in my mind. Seeing things on the news did not even compare to seeing it in real life.

I only snapped 4 photos while I was there. I just didn't feel right taking photos.
 
And then this is a shot, from our helicopter, of the skyline. 

I will always remember! And one day I will tell my children of that day and where I was. I only hope that they never have to experience or witness someone's extreme hate, like America did that day.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments

I'd love to hear from you!! :o)